Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Shame!

So last Friday watching 'Rocky 3', to my shame I discovered it was released in 1982, the year of my birth. Keen to know some quality had been put out in that year I went browsing today. The cringeworthy output didn't stop at Sly's piece of cheesy action, 'Halloween 3' (the one that forgot about Michael Myers and went all weird and obscure), 'Airplane 2', 'Tron', 'Jekyll and Hyde Together again' (I've never heard of this or seen it but it sounds dodgy) and 'Trail of the Pink Panther' were all released and haven't gone down in the annals of great movies. They do however have a kitsch charm, I wonder will we look back on the lacklustre releases of this and other recent summers with nostalgia in the same way. Neither have I heard of 'Jaws of Satan' but its an ace title and was surely rubbish.

I can happily report 'ET', 'Blade Runner', 'Poltergeist' and 'The Wrath of Khan' were released in 1982. 'Mad Max 2', despite the Tina Turner cameo I will also stand by, as I was truly shocked at a formative age when one of the bad guys hand chained to a car, instead of being dragged along by the car instead has his hand detached.

Go have a look for yourself and see if their are any titles your are proud to have associated with the year of your birth or maybe not. I simply googled '(The year) and (movie releases)'.

Dam you all people of 1984 with 'Terminator', 'Beverly Hills Cop', 'Blood Simple', 'Nightmare on Elm Street' and 'Spinal Tap'.

No comments: