Saturday, August 19, 2006

Shocking Movie Moments

The critics of the Sunday Times have compiled a list of the 50 most shocking moments in film, categorised under sex, drugs, violence and religion.

The list seems comprehensive but I would unapolegetically add the admittedly predictable 'Psycho'. During some formative years I was lucky enough to watch Psycho without knowing the identity of the killer beforehand and the reveal unnerves me to this day.

The infamy of the shower scene distracts far too much from a resoundingly tense, suspenseful film. Earlier scenes where Marion Crane is stopped at traffic lights and her sisters walking up to the Bate's house and her shocking discovery towards the end literally began my interest in film.

Do you feel there are any omissions to the list?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still have Irreversible on my shelf here, unwatched. I need to pick a good day to watch it. Must get a copy of Bad Lieutenant.

Anonymous said...

Hey Simon, Psycho is on RTE tonight if you feel like revisiting it.

I see you're doing very well in the Fantasy Footie...

Simon said...

actually the post was written by CK not myself. but i will checck it out all right.

Ya the fantasy football is going not to bad. Have to see how the rest of my players play today

Anonymous said...

I didn't know there was a lodger around here. :)

Eamonn said...

I'd like to nominate Gigli.