Friday, August 25, 2006

Eating Out.

Richard talks today about eating out. Eating out is one thing I do not like to do. I just hate the entire restaurant setting. With the ambience painted on the wall. The mock sense of intimacy with your conversation being over heard by all on sundry. Which makes you feel that you are a guest in the place where the conversation will only veer in the direction of quality of the broccoli and "ooh I like that light fixture" .

As for the etiquet thing it is all shite people trying to create utopian ideal of civility a neo-Austen world of tea and manners. A total charade for people to pretend that they are civil when they are not. Civility comes from within not by using the correct fork or knowing the correct wine glass to use with red.

But the worse aspect for me has to be being served. I feel incredibly uncomfortable being served by someone, as if I am better then them deserving service. I am just like them yet somehow I have been elevated to a level above them (for a right winger I am awfully communist). This just makes me incredible put off and I can never enjoy the meal.

Also I enjoy cooking and like seeing my friends enjoy my various concoctions. And to be honest I get an ego trip when I hear comments like “man that’s fucking lovely” or “that is a sexual cheesecake”. It really is the best part of the whole experience why would I pay someone else to do that part?

I rarely ever eat out and when I do it is usually not on my insistence. However there is one eating out experience that I always observe. Curry Cheese chips after a feed of Guinness. Which I enjoy in the fresh air with a plastic fork with friends where i can talk about any topic I want in the ambience of the night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"But the worse aspect for me has to be being served. I feel incredibly uncomfortable being served by someone, as if I am better then them deserving service. I am just like them yet somehow I have been elevated to a level above them (for a right winger I am awfully communist). "

This is an absurd comment. I have worked as a waiter all through college and i would find this more insulting then someone demanding service. In my experience no one thinks they are better then you because you serve them in a restaurant, except you that is. Service is a skill, and can be quite enjoyable. There are people who make a career out of it, do you suppose they feel like second class citizens? If they do then should commedians, singers feel in some way like court jesters, there just for the entertainment of their betters?

I really think this is unnecessary guilt and in a way implies more snobbery then someone who eats out regularly.