Thursday, August 30, 2007

Top 6 Friday: Marx Brothers Quotes

So I've put my sense of humour under scrutiny lately. The conclusion I've arrived at is the more subtle and simple the harder I will laugh. Smart puns, dry takes on standard situations and a sense you are conversing with smart people is the ultimate in laughter fodder me. Woody Allen and more recently Joss Whedon master deadpan delivery and finding laugh out loud humour in the simplest of dialogue. These men though and particularly Allen owe much to the classic humour and put downs of the Marx Brother films, with Groucho on lead man, cigar munching duties. Relish the lines I have chosen below, if only I could be this wry in real life.

1. I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

2. I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.

3. Policeman: "A hermit eh? Then why's your table set for four?"

Groucho: "That's nothing. My alarm clock is set for eight" (A Night at the Opera)

4. Groucho: "That's in every contract, that's what you call a sanity clause." Chico: "You can't a fool a me there ain't no sanity clause" (A Night at the Opera)

5. Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

6. "Why don't you bore a hole in yourself and let the sap run out?" (Horse Feathers)

No comments: