Sunday, December 03, 2006

2006 The Movie Year

I’m working on writing a review of the year’s movies and reflecting on what I’ve seen my impression is that it has been a lacklustre year. Time allows me to write it in two parts, firstly, I am writing a general summary of the years releases and trends. However, it is for the second part, a Top 10, Best of the Year type list, I am struggling most- has there been an outstanding movie this year, has there been a performance on the tip of everyone’s tongue, what has the years best tagline or movie poster been and what has been the sequence or scene of the year?

I certainly have my favourites and there are clear contenders for a list but I have only arrived at this list after rummaging through my years viewing a number of times. Also I know there are a number of movies to be released during December which should be considered (Stranger than Fiction, Breaking and Entering among them) so maybe we might be surprised by a late entry. Otherwise I look to you Dossing Times bloggers for your impressions of the movies of 2006- has there been any great movies I’ve missed or hidden gems you’ve discovered and what have been your highlights and disappointments of the year.

8 comments:

Eamonn said...

Blatantly trying to get us to do your job for you....for shame!

Anonymous said...

One of my faves of the year was Little Miss Sunshine. Funny, original and off the wall.

Simon said...

Ya sinead I have to say i enjoyed that film as well. Childern Of men was also good I thought

CK said...

Apologies Tuathal, I wouldn't want you to think I'm not taking my job seriously. I will stem any further moves towards interaction and continue to simply impose my opinion on the blog!

Eamonn said...

Thank you.

I agree on Little Miss Sunshine and Children of Men. Certainly two in my top 10. As will Brick, A Cock and Bull Story, Tsotsi, Munich etc...however the most memorably movie I have seen this year is Science of Sleep. Original, funny, visually stunning with great performances.

Anonymous said...

'The Prestige' was very enjoyable

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I forgot about 'The Departed'. Leonardo Di Caprio was incredible - I'll never underestimate him again.

Eamonn said...

I agree Sciencegeek the Prestige was very enjoyable, although it wouldn't come to mind when making a top 10 list of the year.