Thursday, January 12, 2006

Top 6 Friday My favourite songs of all time. (this week)

Here is a list of my favourite songs of all time this week next week they will probably change. 6. Rocky Racoon The Beatles . A friend of mine in college use to do a great version of this song. So always brings back good memories. Not a bad moral lesson either. 5. Speed of the sound of Loneliness Alabama 3 From exile on Coldharbour lane. From the band that gave you the sopranos theme. A mixture of jazz country acid house. It is a song that just is plane cool 4. Christy Moore Nancy Spain Simply a beautiful song. 3. Angel Massive Attack from Mezzanine. Possible one of the most visual of songs. You hear the song and you immediately are transported to another place and time. You travel to the trenches of World War 1 and can see your self going over the top. Rushing to a futile death. A terrible beauty of a song. 2.The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl Fairytale of New York. This is probably the only Christmas song that can be listened to throughout the year. The tale of down on their luck Irish immigrants in New York. It is hopeless and hopefully hate and love all at the same time. The line I could have been some one Well so can anyone you took my dreams from me when I first found you. I kept them with me babe I put them with my own can’t make it along I built my dreams all around you is poetic and the video of Kirsty MacColl and Shane McGowen slow dancing awkwardly is a vision of true love that Westlife or any modern band could ever achieve. 1. Keep on rocking in the free world. Possible the most powerful verses in the history of music. “I see a woman in the night With a baby in her hand Under an old street light Near a garbage can Now she puts the kid away, and she's gone to get a hit She hates her life, and what she's done to it There's one more kid that will never go to school Never get to fall in love, never get to be cool..

3 comments:

Auds said...

Agree with 5 and 1.
Speed of the sound of lonliness is one of the songs that regardless of who sings it, I love it. Nanci Griffith does a duet with John Prine (who wrote it) on Other Voices and it's amazing.
I saw Alabama 3 at the Trinity Ball a few years ago and remember chatting to a random guy beside me about how we knew the lyrics and everyone else was completely ignoring them.
I used to love Rockin in the Free world until Michael Moore used it in title credits of Farhenheit 911. I felt like the song was soiled in some way. But I still like it...

Eamonn said...

Tribute by the D!

Opening line: "This is the greatest and best song in the world".

Nuff said.

David Vance said...

Fairytale is sublime - graced by Kirsty. It's amongst my favourite songs of all time and it is the most touching Christmas song..

"I could have been someone...."