2. The Simpsons Movie
The most unexpected entry into the summer line-up, done right this movie can do no wrong.
Surprising fact, Ian McKellen was last years biggest grossing movie star with X3 and The DaVinci Code. Could Matt Damon take up this mantle with Bourne and Ocean's 13 this year? 6. Die Hard 4 (Live Free or Die Hard)
Die Hard goes global, hi-tech and brings us probably the years best trailer.
The next 6 are the movies that haven’t had trailers released a year in advance, will try their best not to clash with the opening weekends of the above list and could fall into the category of sleeper hit, gain cult following or simply be good.
1. Black Sheep New Zealand setting, evil Zombie sheep, Weta, not as over hyped as Shakes on a Plane = all good things
2. Grind House Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino like kids let loose in the playground of their dreams have put together a double bill, exploitation, zombie slasher fest with fake trailers at the intermission. Expect careers of 70s and 80s stars to be resurrected.
3. Stardust The story of a young man entering a fantasy world to retrieve a fallen star only to find a feisty girl in its place, we have here an FX heavy movie from the director of Layer Cake, starring Robert DeNiro, Ricky Gervais, Michelle Pfeiffer and Clare Danes. The line starts here.
4. Ratatouille The Pixar entry isn’t under normal underdog entry but after what was deemed the ‘failure’ of ‘Cars’, quality generally not being up to par with an over saturation of animated movies in ’06 and the fact that the production has been troubled, changed directors and that not many kids will know what the title means, the film is facing an uphill battle. Premise: rat dreams of becoming a chef.
5. Super Bad High-school comedy, starring Michael Cera, the unfortunately named George Michael of Arrested Development, spends the movie trying to score beer to get girls. That boy has mastered awkward teenage angst. Sounds like great stuff.
6. Used Guys Emily Mortimer lives in a female-run future society, where male clones can be purchased as mates. Ben Stiller and Jim Carrey star as a pair of unwanted male clones.